Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
The PR Advisor leads client work in the earned media space .. This role is part strategist, part enthusiast and part lead implementer. S/he leads various channels of public relations on behalf of clients and the agency. This position requires a strong background in earned media and influencer strategy development and execution including tactics such as media relations, influencer outreach, thought leadership and keeping up with non-conventional tactics that help to move the brand forward. t
The PR Advisor plans and directs public relations programs designed to create and maintain a favorable public image for clients and/or the agency. S/he is responsible for creating and in some cases interpreting the client’s strategic marketing plan through public relations and publicity efforts, through mining story ideas, proactive pitching, and placing feature stories, technical articles or position papers. As the account lead s/he will develop client’s message strategy, create content, research and prep clients for presentations and interviews. S/he must also have experience in crisis communications, from a traditional and social media perspective, as well as overall thought leadership development.
S/he is responsible for maintaining relationships with various media, and client industry influencers to facilitate advantageous content placement and third-party support in the name of the agency’s clients.
The PR Advisor is aligned with paid influencer, social media content and owned content strategy as determined by the account team and client. S/he must be able to think strategically, but be willing and able to roll up his/her sleeves to help implement programs for agency clients.
This role is someone who must be a storyteller, someone who knows how to connect with people in a real and genuine way… and who also can change hats to adjust to the fast-paced agency environment, stepping in at any level to get the job done.
- Key strategist and client account manager for all public and media relations accounts, including budgets, planning, management and execution.
- Manager of public relations support staff, freelancers and vendors and an integration strategist to all other COHN departments.
- Integrated brand execution, media relations, messaging, content creation and storytelling for clients in a variety of verticals including B2C. Experience in either consumer packaged goods, tech, or healthcare is preferred, but not required for this role.
- Marketing integration includes coordinating and executing earned media plans and budgets for a variety of mediums including radio, digital, print and television.Strategic communications plan and campaign development including qualitative research, editorial calendars, public communication plans, press release writing and distribution, copywriting and brand coordination, media training and media tour management and analytics and reporting.
Duties + Responsibilities
- “Tells the organization’s story” using all appropriate earned media and communication channels.Generates and promotes ideas aimed at gaining support for client goals and policies from its target audiences.
- Serves as an advocate for client businesses; builds and maintains positive relationships with the public.
- Handles organizational functions such as media, community, consumer; conflict mediation; or employee and investor relations for designated accounts and/or the agency.
- Understands the attitudes and concerns of consumers, employees, and various other groups; keeps management aware of public attitudes and concerns of all groups and organizations with which the client must deal.
- Establishes and maintains cooperative relationships with representatives of community, consumer, employee, and public interest groups and with representatives from print, broadcast and web journalism.
- Stays current on new online and traditional PR strategies to bring new ideas to the client.
- Works with account team to integrate PR as it relates to the content strategy through to maximize ROI for clients and increase opportunity for internal account growth.
- Regularly participates in the thought leadership development of the agency as a whole via whitepapers, blogs, social media, speaking engagements, etc.
- Develops strategic PR plans, as well as other written materials for client including key messages, press kit, press releases, bios, byline articles.
- Manages and executes proactive media outreach including story development; reactive and crisis communications; new media strategies; executive visibility initiatives (speaking engagements); and awards programs.
- Assists with the development and execution of media events, press conferences/briefings, media tours, etc.
- Develops and pitches editorial/journalistic/media contacts.
- Verifies information to ensure accuracy of media materials and contacts.
- Assists in developing proposals and gathering information for new business opportunities. Make contacts with new potential clients and plays an integral role in the sales process.
- Manages supporting team members in the execution of projects.
- Manages freelancers as needed for PR and social media services.
- Schedules and leads all client meetings on their accounts, working closely with the Account Service teams and Director of Client Services.
- Handles all financial management and billing duties associated with his or her accounts.
- Manages all projects according to agency processes and procedures and using agency project management system, Workamajig.
A qualified candidate should be able to tell us
- Creative ways they have been able to connect with a reporter; stand out in a crowd
- How they are leveraging different channels/mediums/strategies – influencer outreach, grassroots, etc. to help tell a client’s story
- How earned and owned media intersect
- How they expect PR to evolve in the next 1, 3 and 5 years
- PR’s role in different business objectives from lead generation to thought leadership to general awareness
As with all members of the COHN team, the PR Advisor must follow the policies described in the COHN employee handbook, attend all internal meetings, and conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times while working to instill a positive work environment at the company.
- 5 – 10 years of marketing or advertising experience, with 5+ years of direct Public Relations experience
- Strong computer skills and experience using Google Drive; Workamajig knowledge is a plus
- Highly organized and capable of multi-tasking in a deadline driven environment
- Strong, independent work ethic and willingness to proactively take the initiative to solve problems
- Experience in managing projects and collaborating as part of a team
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills, including strong listening skills
- Enthusiastic, “can do” attitude in accepting work/new challenges and always ready to actively participate
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, advertising, marketing, business, or related field preferred, but not required
- Above all you should be wicked smart and love all aspects of public relations
- And, a strong work ethic and clear motivation to learn are a must. Candidate must be able to work well under deadline, be very detail-oriented and always be willing to go the extra mile.
We believe the strongest marketing and public relations results come from collaborative thinking and a spirit of working together to create breakthrough results. At COHN, we create new brands and propel existing brands forward with simultaneous expertise across five strategic areas of focus. And to do this, we hire the best.
Founded in 2000, Denver-based COHN Marketing is a full-service integrated agency that helps business and organizations achieve their objectives through collaborative brand development, digital and traditional marketing, communications and public relations strategies. Listed as one of the Denver Business Journal’s Top 10 Agencies in Denver and Denver Business Journal’s Top 5 Best Places to Work, COHN has a brand-centric philosophy that leads to winning results for clients in a variety of verticals including real estate, retail, healthcare, business-to-business and lifestyle brands. Our staff of more than 25 includes in-house marketing, design, digital, public relations, and social media. We have offices in Denver, Washington, D.C., and Pittsburgh, that serve both our national and international clients.
If you want to work in a smart, fun and fast-paced agency environment—with a team that does stellar strategic work—we’d love to meet you. For more information visit www.cohnmarketing.com or send resume to email@example.com.