Senior Account Director
- Birthplace: Baltimore, MD, grew up in Bowley’s Quarters
- College: Essex Community College
- Previous companies: The Rouse Company
- Brands Karen has worked on: ONE DAYTONA, Regency Centers, Madison Marquette, DDR, Phillips Edison, Centennial, ECHO Realty
- Industry experience: Corporate/REIT, Retail Real Estate, Premier Shopping
- Certifications and memberships: ICSC Certified Marketing Director (CMD)
- What Karen actually does: I am the human conduit between clients and our agency team. I collaborate with clients to propel their brand forward. Specializing in Client Relationships, Brand Development, Campaign/Expression Development, Marketing Planning.
People like Karen make the world go ’round.
Ali Lego / Chief Operating Officer
THINGS YOU MIGHT NOT KNOW ABOUT KAREN
- Cities lived in: Baltimore, MD; Bethesda, MD; Silver Spring, MD; Lewes, DE
- Other Education or Training: ICSC Certified Marketing Director, 1995
- What do you do in your spare time? Yoga, Ninja-inspired Bootcamp, Running, Reading historical fiction, Cooking up a new recipe, Being taken for a walk on the beach by my 6 year old Vizsla, Scorekeeping at Sam + Luke’s baseball games, the co-owner of Swell Joe, a small-batch coffee roastery, Sipping good cab on the screened porch with hubby Drew, while listening to Alison Krauss and Dire Straits, Friday Movie Night at home with my guys.
- Travel memories of note: Rincon, Puerto Rico and Tamarindo, Costa Rica.
- Someday I plan to go to… Europe.
- Unexpected fun fact: Hidden Talent: I can write in cursive simultaneously with both hands; forward with my right hand, backward with my left hand.
- A really big accomplishment: After being mentored (by Certified Brand Strategist Jeff Cohn) through multiple brand development projects – that moment when I led my first brand discovery session.
- Organizations, past and present: ICSC Member (forever) Faculty – ICSC John T. Riordan School of Professional Development, teaching Advertising/Media Strategies course bi-annually. Camp Dudley/Kiniya Board of Trustees – Committee member: Diversity, Programming, and Development Committees.
- Who knew? Grocery shopping soothes my soul.
- Family matters: We live by the ocean in Lewes, DE. Our Viszla, Cal surfs alongside my husband and sons.
- A quote you love: My dad’s best advice, that just happens to apply to marketing: “Shoot while the ducks are flying.”
- Why marketing? I fell INTO marketing at age 15 when I started working at a soon-to-open mall. I fell IN LOVE with marketing when I realized that strong brands succeed via an unusual combination of passion and strategy.
- Favorite book(s): The Invention of Wings. The Kitchen.
- Favorite TV show(s): Survivor. Anything on HGTV and Cooking Channel.
- Favorite word(s): Dilly Dally, Yummy, Fiddlesticks (least favorite word: Amazing)
- Favorite sound(s): My husband’s car as it pulls into the driveway. (awwwww)
- What superpower do you want to have? The power to end racism, bigotry, prejudice and hate. And to embrace diversity and differences. What an uninspiring world we would live in if we all looked the same, acted the same way, believed the same things.