Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Status Classification: Exempt
The Design Director is conceptual and strategic, a leader and a doer. This role works in tandem with the Strategy team to conceptualize creative concepts, and then guides all design projects/output and is responsible for the overall quality of work produced by the creative department. Manages projects from concept to completion and translates marketing objectives into creative strategies. Leads and directs the creative staff in the production of all advertising and marketing collateral, including digital and ensures that visual communication standards are met across various media. Meets with clients or upper management to explain design strategies and solutions.
You can motivate a team, collaborate with clients and colleagues, and always find a way to advocate what’s best for the business and the work. And most importantly, you take incredible pride in the collective impact we make for our clients.
Duties + Responsibilities
- Partner with the strategy, account service and planning teams to ensure relevant creative strategies and insights are in place
- Be equally passionate about ideas, insights and aesthetic
- Oversee multiple projects from kickoff through execution
- Willingness to get in the trenches with your team and take on design projects/work
- Think big picture and solve down to the small details
- Provide ongoing stimulation for creativity and divergent thought throughout the department
- Ensure creative output meets agency standards for quality and salesmanship—across all media
- Oversee the career development of creative team members, mentoring both direct and secondary reports
- Raise the design bar for COHN and utilize our clients’ brand positions to ensure that our designs are: relevant, smart, honest, inclusive and unique
- Interfaces regularly with account, digital, strategy and creative teams to develop design ideas, offer account input, collaborate on website UX/design functionality and develop design solutions for different target personas across a variety of audiences
- Manage department time to meet client and project budget expectations
- Lead/present design concepts/rationale to internal account teams, clients and in new business presentations
As with all members of the COHN team, the Design Director must follow the policies described in the COHN employee handbook, attend all internal meetings, and conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times while working to instill a positive work environment at the company.
- Creative team, including: Art /Senior Art Directors, Designers as well as Digital team, including: Web Developer and Senior Digital Producer.
- Must be an industry leader with a minimum of 10 years of experience within an advertising agency setting as a copywriter, art director or designer. And 3+ years of experience in digital media.
- Minimum of a Bachelor of Arts degree in art journalism or mass communications or equivalent business experience preferred.
- Minimum 3 years of experience managing the day-to-day design on multiple accounts including the supervision of production vendors and art directors/designers.
- Knowledge of advertising/integrated marketing agency principles and practices. Knowledge of communication and advertising/marketing techniques.
- Background in brand + campaign design, direct marketing, advertising and media.
- Ability to develop and deliver presentations.
- Strong problem solving skills and detail oriented.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills to foster optimal departmental relationships. Excellent communication skills, both written and oral. Ability to interact with the C-suite and upper level management to work effectively. Ability to motivate teams and simultaneously manage several projects.
- In-depth understanding of all media including print, video and digital channels.
- Work requires willingness to work a flexible schedule and travel.
- Collaborative style and positive attitude (no ego)
$90,000 – $110,000 annually + benefits.
Benefits + Culture Snapshot
- Flexible PTO
- Hybrid work environment
- Dog-friendly office
- Team outings and social events
- Encouraged and enforced work/life balance
- Quarterly bonus structure based on agency success
- 401k match (up to 4%)
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Group benefits, including healthcare, dental, short-term and long-term disability
We believe the strongest marketing and public relations results come from collaborative thinking and a spirit of working together to create breakthrough results. At COHN, we create new brands and propel existing brands forward with simultaneous expertise across five strategic areas of focus. And to do this, we hire the best.
Founded in 2000, Denver-based COHN Marketing is a full-service integrated agency that helps businesses and organizations achieve their objectives through collaborative brand development, digital and traditional marketing, communications, and public relations strategies. Listed as one of the Denver Business Journal’s Top 10 Agencies in Denver and Denver Business Journal’s Top 5 Best Places to Work, COHN has a brand-centric philosophy that leads to winning results for clients in a variety of verticals including real estate, retail, healthcare, business-to-business and lifestyle brands. Our staff includes in-house marketing, design, digital, public relations, and social media.
If you want to work in a smart, fun and fast-paced agency environment—with a team that does stellar strategic work—we’d love to meet you. For more information visit cohnmarketing.com or send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply
Interested? Send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.